Book Review: The Prediction by Darren Sugrue

Here goes my first ever book review. To start off, why did I chose this specific book of all the other proven good books that I have read? I myself lack the answer to that question.  'A thousand mile journey starts with a single step', Therefore, my first foray into book reviewing is this.  I hope that my interest in reading books and reviewing them does not diminish.

This is the author's first book and I read it on my laptop. The author's brainwave of employing stanzas of Robert's poem for each chapter had its expected effect. It gave me a peek into what the book's central theme would be, even before I read the synopsis. I have not seen many employing a poem as a synopsis, so this idea was refreshing. Onward to the book now. I am listing out in bullets all that I considered good and not-so-good in this book.

•    The detailing of places and trivial events like household chores seemed to be a ramble.
  • The book had a preachy feel to it, when the part about dealing with the loss of loved ones had to be described. I felt it could have been played down a little.
  • The flow of events, the seamless transition of one event leading to another, the lucid and structured language, without any hesitancy in the thought process of the author during the book's writing,except for the occasional break, were visibly in display. These are but one of the many reasons that made me like this book. (and to do a debut-review!)
  • In many of the books I read, I get confused if many characters are introduced into the plot needlessly. Many of them are vestigial and could be done away with. Here, there was nothing of the sort. The characters in the book were just the perfect amount needed to carry the plot forward and keep the reader hooked.
  • I had the nagging feeling that there would be a twist somewhere along the story, because the plot till then was along expected lines, as any parent or husband would feel on their loss or about-to-be loss.I found it odd that Zoe wasn't even called once by her husband, who was in Amsterdam chasing down and protecting his former love. Thus, vesting the twist in her hand was brilliant but slightly expected.
  • The tragic loss of loved ones was elucidated in heart-wrenching letter assortments.
  • I almost expected that Rik would eventually bed Grace, but that was not to be. The author weaved that part tactically. Another element that I unexpected was that John would avoid his wife Claire on the date of death predicted by Daniel Geller.

One word after reading the book : Phenomenal!

For a first time writer, he has not done badly. Hope to see many more books tumbling out of his imagination soon.